Cooperative Extension ServiceNMSU-Bernalillo County
- Major Program Areas
- Events & Classes
- Master Gardeners
- Master Composters
- Jr. Master Gardeners
- 4-H Youth Development
- Area Growers & Farmers Markets
- Quick Links
Major Program AreasObjective, research-based, and credible information you can use every day to improve your life.
* 15 de Febrero - Creaciones de cocina en Español *
01/02/20 y 15/02/20 los sabádos, de 8:30 a.m. a 1 p.m. El centro de Albuquerque. Esta es una apertura de último minuto para que los hispanohablantes asistan a las clases de cocina con diabetes. Ubicación: Cocina Three Sisters, 109 Gold Ave SW 87192. (Haga clic para ver el mapa). Para registrarse, llame a Carolyn al Three Sisters Kitchen, 505-379-7920, y para obtener mas información.
* Enrollment Remains Open Through February* - NDPP
You may still begin this free program - through February. For those at High Risk for Type 2 Diabetes, You Can Make A Change For Life classes. National Diabetes Prevention Program.
- Albuquerque - Tuesdays, 9 AM-10:30 AM - (Click for more info...)
- East Mountains - Thursdays, 9 AM-10:15 AM - (Click for more info...)
* * * * Inclement Weather * * * *
- NMSU-BernCo CES Office - Follows Bernalillo County closure notices (click to view external link).
- Classes @ CES Office/Lab - Will cancel if APS City schools are delayed or closed (click to view external link).
- East Mtn Sessions (Tijeras, Sandia Park) - Will cancel when APS East Mtn schools are delayed or closed (click to view external link).
News! - Organic Farming Conference provides opportunity to learn and connect
Jan. 10, 2020 - Southwest's largest organic conference is Feb. 21 & 22 in Albuquerque this year. (Click to read more...).
Join our Mailing List (External site)
Receive quarterly mailings announcing Family Consumer Sciences courses. Choose your Interest Groups (Food & Cooking, Health & Wellness, etc.), and receive occasional special events notices based upon your interests.
New! - Hearty New Mexican Soups and Stews - Recipe Booklet
Perfect for winter meals, try these favorite recipe that are sure to warm you up. Previously available for Cindy Schlenker-Davies' winter cooking classes; now in PDF format (with clickable links in the table of contents).
FCS Winter Classes Brochure
News and Events, Classes and Workshops, and Spring Save the Dates - (Click here to download the brochure). Check back for updates on the Health, Wellness, and Family Life page and on the Food, Nutrition, and ICAN page for individual class details, recipes, healthy lifestyle tips, and more.
* * * * * * * * * Area Detours * * * * * * * * *
* * 12th Street & Menaul Intersection * *
* * * * * * * * * Now Closed * * * * * * * * * *
November 2019 through February 2020
Mondays through Fridays
7 AM to 5 PM
However, crews may work different days & hours as needed, weather permitting & subject to change without notice.
Suggestion: Use Rio Grande Blvd, then turn eastbound onto Indian School Rd NW.
(Click for Directions & Map)
New Page! - Seasonal Gardening Resources
Resources (publications, webpages, videos, and even plans and materials lists. Some information was intended to be distributed at last Fall's cancelled Hoops, Mulch, and Cold Frames Workshop, but we've added more links and helpful hints. Check back for updates on the new Seasonal Gardening Resources page.
New Page! - Aquaponics - Equipment, Methods, & Maintenance
New Aquaponics page includes notices about Classes & Events, as well as links to relevant Resources (NMSU Publications & Informative Websites). Check back for new additions.
* New * - Extension Program Webinars Now Online!
Family and Consumer Science webinars are now available for viewing on all your devices. Learn from NMSU's Extension educators via the NMSU Extension webpage: https://efcs.nmsu.edu/extension-family-and-con.html. Upcoming webinars and previously recorded webinars are listed.
Events & Classes
* * * Beware of Area Detours * * *
ABCWUA is replacing water lines, and City of ABQ is constructing a roundabout.
*As of Nov. 11*The intersection at 12th St NW & Menaul Blvd NW is fully closed until February 2020. Check back often for updates from the ABCWUA press room.
Feb. 13 - * Next Class * - Kitchen Creations - Tijeras
02/06/2020-02/27/2020, Thursdays through Feb. 27, 1 PM-4 PM. Type 2 Diabetes Cooking School (4-Class Series). Informative and very practical series of cooking classes are helpful and fun! Learn to effectively manage your diabetes from a Registered Dietician, and get hands on experience in the kitchen preparing healthy recipes from a Home Economist. Location: Tijeras Senior Center, (Click for map) 10 Tijeras Ave, Tijeras, NM 87059. Reservations: Call 505-243-1386, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Feb. 15 * - Kitchen Creations In Spanish *
02/01/20 and 02/15/20 Saturdays, 8:30 AM-1 PM, Downtown Albuquerque. Last minute opening for Spanish speakers to attend Diabetes Cooking Classes. Location: Three Sisters Kitchen, 109 Gold Ave SW 87192. (Click for Map). Register: Call Carolyn at Three Sisters Kitchen, 505-379-7920.
Feb. 21 & 22 - 2020 New Mexico Organic Farming Conference.
02/21-22/2020, Friday & Saturday. Note: One-Day attendance is only available for Saturday. Location: (Click for map) Hotel Albuquerque at Old Town, 800 Rio Grande Blvd NW, 87104. Registration links:
New! - Click to download the Program Guide, listing session and demonstration details.
Feb. 25 - * Next Class * Raised Bed Gardening
Tuesdays 1 PM - 2:30 PM. See the list of classes available: Master Gardening for the Public for the public (no registration required); attend one or several. Cost: * $5 each Session - Cash Only - Payable at door * Location: Albuquerque Garden Center, 10120 Lomas Blvd NE, 87112 (Click for Map).
Apr. 8, 15, 22, & 29 - Save The Dates - Kitchen Creations - Albuquerque
04/08/2020-04/29/2020, Wednesdays, 9 AM-12 PM. Type 2 Diabetes Cooking School (4-Class Series). Check back for more info.
Feb. 11 - * Next Class * - Master Gardening for the Public
See the list of classes available for the public (no registration required); attend one or several. 1-2:30 PM, Cost: * $5 each Session - Cash Only - Payable at door * Location: Albuquerque Garden Center, 10120 Lomas Blvd NE, 87112 (Click for Map).
- Oct. 1, 2019, to Feb. 29, 2020 - Master Gardener Hotline Inactive for Fall & Winter
- Oct. 7, 2019 - Master Gardener Enrollment Filled; no further applications accepted for 2020 courses.
- Jan. 2020 - Master Gardener Training Begins; continues through Apr. 2020. All classes are held at the Albuquerque Garden Center * (Click for Map), 10120 Lomas Blvd. NE, 87112.
- Jan. to Apr., 2020 - Select Tuesdays, 1 PM - Public Gardening Classes, $5 Cash per class, payable in at door. See the webpage for details and specific dates & times: http://www.abqmastergardeners.org/
- Mar. 1, 2020, to Sep. 30, 2020 - Master Gardener Hotline Active for Spring & Summer, Mon.-Fri., 9:30 AM-2:30 PM
- Oct. 1, 2020 - Master Gardener Hotlilne Closes. Inactive Fall & Winter
- Oct. 2020 (date & time TBD) - Master Gardener Recruit Info Session @ Garden Center
- Oct. 2020 (date & time TBD) - Online Application Link goes active. See their webpage at http://www.abqmastergardeners.org/ (external link).
2020 Master Gardener Program Application
As of 11:00 am Monday, October 7, 2019, Registration for the 2020 Master Gardener Class is closed.
Thank you for your interest in the program! Please check the Albuquerque Master Gardener webpage next September for information to be posted concerning 2021 Classes.
Topics include art, science, materials, methods, and benefits of various composting techniques. See individual class descriptions. New classes added as scheduled. Check back often.
Jr. Master Gardeners
Jr. Master Gardener Program - External site
JMG youth are encouraged to become good gardeners and good citizens through a series of group and individual activities. Their horticultural and environmental science education consists of a prescribed set of activities, a service learning project, and more. JMGs are then eligible to receive national JMG Program certification. For more information, visit this website's 4-H School Enrichment Page.
4-H Youth Development
Bernalillo County 4-H Fair (2019 Fair was July 27 - August 3)
Results from the 2019 Bernalillo County 4-H Fair will be posted once compiles. Stay tuned!
Click through to the 4-H Site for more up-to-date activities.
The Bernalillo County Extension 4-H Program Plan (2017 ed.) provides an overview of the goals and outreach the office has achieved and plans to conduct for 2017. As the office gears up for the 2017-2018 school year, many of these goals will still be in place and a new calendar of events will be published.
Note: Each year, 4-H programs begin October 1st.
Area Growers & Farmers Markets
Find a Market, Meet Some Farmers, Shopping, Recipes, Food Access, and more. Check back often.
- Extension How-To Publications
- NMSU Extension and Experiment Station Publications
- NMSU ACES Program Social Media