Intermediate Hands-On Composting Workshop: May 7, 2017
Bernalillo County Extension Master Composters
When and Where: The class will be held Sunday, May 7, 2017, from 9:00 am to 3:00 pm at the home of Bill and Rye Bailey in Albuquerque's south valley.
Prerequisites: The class is open to those who have already attended one of our Home Composting Basics classes or one of our comprehensive workshops. It is recommended that you also take Bokashi Bucket Composting and Composting with Worms (Vermicomposting) beforehand, but those are not required. (Please see Classes and Other Activities for the Public for offerings of these free classes.)
What We'll Do:
- You will get hands-on experience with an actual multi-bin hot compost pile: creating, turning, and sifting. (Note that, on March 11, there will be a free class Constructing a Wooden Compost Bin. It is not necessary for you to attend that class, but you are welcome to attend if there is space. This will be the four-bin system that you will be working with in this Intermediate Workshop.)
- We will provide inexpensive Bokashi bucket materials for purchase for those who wish to construct a Bokashi bucket during the workshop - which you can then take home. (Or, you can bring materials from home if you wish.)
- You will participate in implementing various methods for using the contents of a completed Bokashi bucket.
- We will spend an hour or so looking at vermicomposting outdoors including appropriate location, bin environment, food and moisture, harvesting, and over-wintering.
- And the grand finale...Rye and Bill will briefly discuss Black Soldier Fly Larvae composting and then you can help them assemble a new bin. This is a new endeavor for them. They will keep interested participants posted on how the experiment progresses.
Lunch! A simple lunch will be provided. Several master composters will be present and we'll have an informal compost discussion while we are eating.
Cost and Registration: Cost is $25. Pre-registration with payment is required (details below). Registration deadline is May 3, 2017. Class size is limited to 25.You may register and pay via a credit card or PayPal using this button:
Or, you may mail your name, email address, and a check for $25, payable to Bernco Master Composter Association, to:
Bernalillo County Cooperative Extension Service
1510 Menaul Blvd NW, Albuquerque, NM 87107
After you register, address and directions will be provided.
What to Wear and Bring: Participants should come prepared to work outdoors. Wear appropriate clothes, sun protection, footwear, hat, gloves. Bring a water bottle, refills available on site. Also, it will be helpful, if you can, to bring tools: garden spade, pitchfork, shovel, garden claw, hand hoe, or even a wheelbarrow.
For More Information: Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call / text 505-321-7967.